Monday, November 10, 2014

What nobody tells you in school

Garden of the Gods in Colorado
Laurie Petersen Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

I had the privilege of speaking with a group of college students at Stevens Institute of Technology this year. It was a Saturday and leadership conference covered a variety of topics from the race.

You know you have a large audience at an event this weekend, as well as students who waive their sunny day, in exchange for the opportunity to learn something new and people want to know. They showed professional, tidy and punctual.

Use the person in front of me in a creative way to show how to be memorable in a room full of people you've never met. He asked the students to write their favorite quote on a map and then explain why they have chosen and what it meant for them.

She prepared me perfectly, because even mentioned a name, a good idea of what these students go and I could fit my comments to your field of interest had.

They wanted to know everything.

They wanted to talk startups. They wanted to know how I the industry as much as I change. (Just because I can, does not mean you should.) They wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of different companies. They followed me down the hall, I was asked to evaluate their applications. They wanted to talk through the lunch break.

I do not feel like a rock star, as my girlfriend and I were crammed on the beach in a fishing village in the south of Italy. We were students - two blondes and perhaps the only American women to visit this small town.

I tell students to travel Stevens.

See to understand the world and the world. Stay in touch with the people you meet along the way. But the important thing is to stay healthy. I do not remember talking "welfare" in my college heyday. No balance or sustainability discussions, standing rather than sitting at work.

If it do not mean for my health, I would not live to be able to have life path. And the older I get, the more it becomes clear that health considerations determine the choice of career and the lives of people in all stages.

Avanti!

(This article originally appeared in LinkedIn. )

Welcome to AOL Jobs Week

No comments:

Post a Comment