Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Do I get extra for working? If the office is closed for the holidays, I get paid?

USD on the Christmas tree decoration
Alamy


AOL Jobs readers have many questions about holiday pay. Most think that they are paying extra if you work at parties. Here are some questions I asked:

My job here in Illinois, I worked on holidays and paid straight time. My boss told me, gave me two days a week, work on the holiday gave me 40 hours, which I have not paid twice. I explained that if you work on the holiday you get paid double pay. I went on a date with a patient and was 4.5 hours and was told I had to leave early to 4.5 hours of my time adds up to 40 hours. this week. My question is this legal?

My employer has several "policy" that are unjust, at least, if not illegal. It is a building in New Jersey. Among other things, no paid vacation. It is unwise, immoral or illegal?

I work in a hospital in New York. I worked 18: 00-12: 00 Clock held New Year's Day. The day shift time and a half for the hours paid for, but I was told that I was not on vacation compensation in line. I thought the holiday is a day of 24 hours. This hospital has done nothing illegal by paying some employees and not others for the same work?

Therefore, you will be an hour and a half to two times, if you work in Europe? Do you have to pay the employer if you are not working on a holiday, because business is closed? This is what you need to know about holiday pay:

Extra pay for working on public holidays

There is no federal law additional compensation for work on a public holiday for non-government employees not engaged in federal contracts require. No double. Not even time and a half. This federal law requires that if you work more than 40 hours per week, and are not exempt from overtime must be paid time and a half. So if you already worked on Christmas to a colleague who wants to go, and has 40 hours this week working as a favor, you must pay overtime if you are not exempt. But if you work on Christmas and lasts 40 hours, your employer may require you to take the rest of the week to avoid paying overtime

If you are not sure whether you are exempt, read my column is used, is what get overtime? Chances are good that you should . My column 10 Employers use tricks to cheat workers from overtime could also help.

I do not have a state law, additional compensation for the holidays for workers in the private sector is, if your state has a law like this, you can find me know in the comments. (Incidentally, Rhode Iceland an interesting law, employers can not do that you are on vacation and not to discriminate against you if you refuse ,.)

If you have a contract, binding agreement or if the employer policy says that pay for the license, then you can also add additional compensation if you work on a holiday. Some employers offer an incentive to encourage employees to voluntarily on a vacation. However, they may designate all or part of the party paying the premium. If the policy or contract, the employer pays the entire stay something, and, most likely to qualify for this additional remuneration throughout the 24 hours.

If not, you probably have regular rate for work on a holiday.

Holiday pay, when the office is closed

If you are exempt from overtime and working part of the week, then you should pay when the office is closed. If you are not free, then there is no federal law, paid leave for non-government employees who do not have work contracts on Federal. I do not have a state law, paid vacation in the private sector either found. If your state has a law like this, let me know in the comments. So it is not immoral and unwise to pay to the employee for the holidays? Yes I am. Illegal? Probably not.

If you do not work for the government, then you can have a contract or agreement of the Union require paid leave. Many companies offer paid vacation, but private companies can change their policies holiday pay if they want to.

Work in government contracts

To treat two federal laws vacation pay benefits to employees who work with Federal contracts: The McNamara-O'Hara Service Agreement Law and the Davis-Bacon Act . These laws regulate some paid leave. Much they pay 'extra under such laws to work overtime depends on whether you are full time or part time and other factors. The details of the holiday pay for McNamara-O'Hara here . For more information about the holiday pay Davis-Bacon Act is here .

Happy holidays are still used

Such a beautiful holiday season, but not in trouble claiming an additional content, which is not authorized or refuses to work when you get to pay extra. This is a very bad time of year to be fired.

If you need legal advice, it is best to speak to one employment lawyer in your country , but if you have general legal problems to speak to me here in public, except to discrimination, conditions, employment contracts, sick or do you want to work labor law issues You can ask AOL Jobs .

Note: Everything you write, I can one of my columns selected. I will not be able to answer questions individually.

No comments:

Post a Comment