Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Life After College: underemployment and

I egg frying on the grill
Alamy


It should not be a surprise to most people that is in the labor market a turbulent these days. As a recent college graduate, I can attest. Trying to find a "real" first job is a stressful experience, full of disappointment and frustration.

I, like many of my colleagues who have completed recently, I found myself in an awkward position in six months in school. My first loan payments were due and office work part time j 'was not, I needed the hours or wages. I was a steady paycheck in search of a job, any job that would offer me. I found myself in a hospital cafeteria, kitchen, and work part time, I worked in the school.

Youth unemployment and underemployment is at its highest point in 20 years. I have stories weekly on National Public Radio listen while driving to and from my work in the kitchen of others like me. This is an epidemic that will have serious consequences in the future. The real challenge for young graduates is the need for student loans, the. Far beyond the available jobs and experienced a market where the older generations for the same entry-level jobs that we compete As such, I have some ideas, as it is in a rut of underemployment fixed.

The content is not very good.

When I first started cooking, it was like a part-time employee with the ability to collect almost as many changes as I wanted. I have a nasty surprise when I got my first paycheck. Earn over $ 10 per hour is not so bad, guarantees at first, but my part-time work (30 hours) also had advantages that remains a tremendous amount of my monthly salary. I lost about $ 300 pay per month for health insurance. My real income ended up being between $ 700-900 per month, not enough to pay my student loans was every month (approximately $ 1,400 is), can still less afford something.

To solve this problem, I decided to do my employee name changed from "relief." I would lose my benefits, but earn about $ 3 per hour in wages. I have health insurance, so I make the children in the health insurance of their parents, which is at the age of 26 years remain to take the changes in the Affordable Care Act, for how long.

The schedule will be a chore.

I've always tried an exemplary employee, in which I can work. That has not changed when I started cooking. As part of my new relief staff began term for a wide range of changes. I soon found work in the morning, afternoon, evening, weekend, night and fun combination of each. My schedule was not uniform, but I took the charge as a way to ensure that I pay my mortgage every month.

Night work is the biggest challenge, because it leaves you with little energy to work on applications cover letter, and takes the "real" work. Your biological clock is essentially the opposite of the rest of the working world.

As a recent example, last week I started on Monday, 06.30 clock Tuesday 23.30 clock work magazines delivered Wednesday, Thursday, 06.30 clock, 22.30 clock Friday, Saturday 10.00 clock was everywhere; is difficult to keep track of life to work if you are obliged to do so.

Your colleagues difficult to connect with.

Probably the overwhelming feeling that at work I is the restoration of regret. My colleagues, many of whom I am very fond of and I enjoyed knowing that they are stuck in their careers. You will be cooking for the rest of their lives and they know it. Everyone where I work, has a degree of dissatisfaction with their jobs, many have simply given up.

It is frustrating for a number of reasons. The first is that people stop worrying about good teammates. The kitchen is a team effort. There are a number of measures to provide good food and good customer service. Many people with whom I do not work are the most important; they are only interested in very little effort to end the day and go home. The second is that it is very difficult to have a positive attitude to work. Getting up in the morning or at night, knowing that some of his colleagues are ready with a smile on her face is toxic. It feeds a culture of dissatisfaction and can be very difficult to separate from the house.

There is little chance of his vacation and little time for social life.

It seems obvious, but working all the time to repay the loan, can every month few opportunities for leisure. In my almost two years I was a week off the kitchen. Not the time to leave work and take a break is exhausting and discouraging. Makes you wonder why you went to college for the first time.

I also found that night work does not really allow for any social life. My Saturday night was especially on the grill making omelets and burritos spent. It's a little hard to meet new people.

Eventually it will end.

In a remarkable bit of time, I have very good news last week. I have a job! After almost two years for submission of applications for the opportunity to get interviews and generally tired of rejection, I start the "real" work that dreamed of. There will be no new development in this. I have to share many experiences of the last two years around!

No comments:

Post a Comment