Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Cupcakes This guy used to an interview with his dream start

Cupcakes
Shutterstock
By Aaron Taube

Looking to get your foot in the door with your dream employer? Try to show in the office with a box of cupcakes.

At least that's what Jon Ebner worked, now Sales Manager East Coast restoration is Cater2.me start.

He told Business Insider extraordinary measures it took to get them from the company - a journey that baked goods containing personal delivery of a late-night writing session cards, and more than a month of work for almost nothing.

Here's the story:

End of 2012, lived in the computer Ebner resale of Apple Long Iceland with the family business, a responsibility he shares with his brother after the death of his father in the year of 2010.

The decision that the company was stable enough to his career in sales continues, began the search for a Ebner starting place in New York.

It was almost immediately met with Cater2.me, a company, a gourmet lunch, office supplies and at the time had 18 employees.

A self-described foodie, the "great for lunch", Ebner was excited, not only for the free food, bring you to eat it, but work for the opportunity for the Wharton educated Cater2.me founder, Zach and Alex Yungst Lorton.

"There was something about this company," Ebner said, admitting that he also applied gently to other companies as a backup plan. "I believe in the company and wanted to do everything to be successful to do with this company -., To be not only successful, but to be successful with this company"

So he went through the process of applying for a working e-mail.

He followed up with a call, and if not go back, he sent a second e-mail to Lorton in one of his sandwich shops in New York favorite, cock. At the end, of course, he mentioned that he already asked the role of operations and would like to meet for an interview.

"I only said:" If I was the founder, it actually makes me want to read this email, why should I be with this person to me? "Ebner says Business Insider.

Calling managed eager to get him a phone interview, but unfortunately was a hiccup in the time Ebner has his interviews Cater2.me was already in the process of hiring someone for a role.

Ebner never after sending an e-mail saying that like to take a job as a salesman, but you heard back.

"I kind of hit a wall there," says Ebner. "I just remember I got in the night, I was watching TV and I was like," Man, what do I do to get here? "

He stood up to watch TV and began to write a personal letter to Lorton, co-founder Cater2.me about a teenager who went from door to door distributing your resume to everyone in the hometown of Ebner.

Ebner late father finally took a chance on him, and the man who now runs a successful business for yourself.

"I signed the letter and said:" I just want a chance, "Ebner said.

With a letter and a box of cupcakes from Buttercup Bake Shop armed, Ebner went to Manhattan in search of a face, set with Lorton.

The founder was not there when Ebner came first, but the rest of the staff said they would be back in two hours. Ebner made a little cake for each of them (they are the exact number of people who had found in the office) and later returned.

"I do not know anything away from the fact that it will take terrifying," says Ebner. "It's almost like in a bar are and see a girl on the other end of the bar and you have no idea, but you're like." Gotta go "

Ebner took the elevator to the office and found Cater2.me Lorton, of the impromptu interview I wanted to be granted almost immediately. Ultimately Ebner not even give him the letter he had written.

At the meeting, set Ebner his plans for what he would do if given a job as a salesman, indicating that companies are run and how it would be to develop the activities of New York Cater2.me.

Lorton Ebner agree that would be a good choice for a sales position to be, but said the company does not hire for this position. Instead, hit Ebner working on a probationary period of three months in which he not only paid basic salary and commission.

Despite the fact that they pay almost nothing, the session Ebner left impressed.

"In the end, shook my hand and said:" In addition, a good shot on Cupcakes "Ebner said.

Ebner salary for his first month of work was $ 100, and was forced into the family life of their savings, as he develops for sale contacts to Cater2.me services. After a month and a half, he asked whether the company would be willing to help a preview of his next job, make it give by the month.

Instead, he offered Cater2.me hire full-time, and said, he impressed with his willingness to work at night and on weekends.

Although the starting salary was not much - it does not even break at work until about three months - Ebner received incremental increases and equity of the company since his arrival. A few months ago, he was selected to be the sales manager for the East Coast Cater2.me, overseeing a sales team in a company that now has 65 employees.

And Buttercup Bake Shop, which, if the cupcakes cool in his fateful call to the office, is today one of the Cater2.me suppliers.

"In my mind, I'll do anything," says Ebner. "I just wanted to engage in the business, so I had the room to be cleaned if you would ask me."

No comments:

Post a Comment