Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Life After College: Where do I start?

Conference at the University of Colorado State Generation Y
Collegian.com Kyle Moyer (third from left) on Why hire Generation Y?
Hello there. My name is Kyle.

I'm 24 I'm a musician, a historian and a car enthusiast.

Oh, I forgot, I also have $ 132,452.96 debt student loans.

I graduated from Belmont University in 2012 with a degree in history and a minor in education. I worked very hard in school. I have good grades. I made the Dean's List. I presented at conferences, I saw on National Public Radio with all the Elite Belmont guitar, and was an active participant in the student body. I did all this while working part-time during the school year and full time during the summer. Load did not know how my education would.

I recently had a panelist at the conference entitled "Why hire Generation Y" It was from Colorado State University in my home town of Fort Collins, Colorado instead. I shared the panel with five other people my age. Simply the most famous student loan debt of all of us. In fact, I had, until the whole world together.

This was the trigger for this blog. It was clear that he was telling a story and my ideas just maybe was able to help someone.

My story begins with my decision to go to a private university of the state.

Belmont University was an exciting prospect for an aspiring musician of Option 18 years. In Nashville, Music City, USA, offered me a scholarship to Belmont to visit music as an important trade guitar. I took the opportunity, was the beginning of a great academic and personal adventure.

Cost is a factor early.

Only about $ 35,000, so that the decision to participate Belmont was a great one for a child from a family of the lower middle class. After talking with my parents to talk to people who are at school to discover that I could get a private student loan to cover the cost seemed possible. I took the plunge.

The university was an incredible moment in my life.

I quickly realized that the business is not a title guitar I wanted, but I felt in Belmont and Nashville well. I wanted to stay there. After taking into account a variety of other careers, I decided to study the history, because it was always the only problem is that my K-12 school made interesting. History seemed an obvious choice for me and I think a choice.

Enough about the College.

The bottom line is that I have an expensive piece of paper, a sign of adulthood, which meant I was told by a very young age that he would win the job market.

And the work I went.

In the most disappointing way I managed to get a job cooking in a hospital cafeteria a few months out of school. My plan, which is not yet completed, works in the hospital in the middle of a right career for my education and interests. That, for now, not on.

The hammer fell really dramatic at the time six months after graduation.

To still save at home with my parents for money, that has not changed, and work full time in a delicious selection of shifts (day, night, cemetery, doing splits get the picture), who found that the minimum monthly payments on my loan would be about $ 1470 I was shocked. I am still.

People, since I was a young student, I heard that college is expensive, but student loans have lower payments, to allow people to pay. Sure, in my case is not true, and I had a hard time dealing with it since ...

What advice would you give Kyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment