Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Ask Jack: work for free, birthdays and Labour Office of the Week

Birthday cake on the desk in the office
Getty


AOL Jobs Roger reader was looking for work.

Before firing, I held a senior position in a large company. In order to achieve another well-known company, I was asked to work for free for four months with the possibility of a job. Do you think it worth my time or the company is really benefits?

Ooh, when it finished, you might want to find and paint my apartment and wax my car. Of course I can pay nothing, but just think about the experience you get! First, Roger, are possible legal problems here; Breach Company Act Fair Labor Standards? (It may not have heard only on the books since 1938 so.) Anyway, it sounds like they are trying to take advantage of you. We did not even take into account that you are an experienced staff are to take. Companies have tried to make this garbage forever unpaid, and is eventually called in recent years.

And four months? Damn! If it's for a week, then it might be interesting would be if the opportunity was with a great company if you really wanted to work. Or if, what began as a contract position with no benefits, then it's not ideal, but at least you know where you were. Roger, my advice is, do not use for four months to find a job that - call me crazy - he actually for the work that you have to pay.

Meanwhile, Merri ...

Uggh. I just got an email (subject line: "Shhh Surprise"), there is a "small anniversary meeting" next to my office on Friday. They always seem to have one, and that makes me crazy. Yes, I know there's an episode of Seinfeld in it but it's true! Only my work, it's not a big pot and encourage someone I do not like it, to be honest. I do not want to sign the card, do not want to be wise for a gift. How can I prevent this?

Note to self: Rethinking Our bigwigs surprise party for Merri. I know, I know, it may be a cliché, and it often seems as if we are to think through the motions with the seemingly endless stream of birthday parties, office, baby shower, etc. But I prefer that people cling to our basic humanity in robotics monotony of the day. These meetings can have a good rest, and some people are really good friends with colleagues and enjoy the party with them. Of course, not everyone feels this way; Many like to have a clear demarcation between work and private life . That's great - you should not feel obligated to participate. How can e-mail to make an air battle for a walk when the party planned. Colleagues finally asking the hint and stop trying to sign the card, etc. You probably have a little fame, but I'll go out on a limb and guess you're okay with that.

Ask questions Jack last week

If you have a problem at work for Jack? Write it in the comments below (better answers to the questions in this week are welcome!) Or Tweet AOLJobs hashtag with #AskJack.

Jack week

I have heard rumors that there is an opening for a birthday party host in Grapevine, Texas! It is at LEGOLAND Discovery Centre, and apparently everything is great there. But if the cake, balloons, and interlocking tiles are not your cup of fruit punch, do your own research on AOL Jobs . He is the avoidance of areas into a new company in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment